Saturday, April 13, 2019

Denim comes and goes...

How polluting the fashion industry is....
little depressing, yet to find ways to Redress... some make a fair amount of money just sorting and passing to new customers...

Designers however are in the driving seat... to turn things which had reached the end of their lives into new cherished items...

One day walking to Broadwater Farm Creative Studio I set up and run between 2008 and 2017, as part of a circular economy idea of putting together unused resources and teaching the youths struggling at school about the creative process to build their confidence,  I found a piece of denim, a small jacket actually thrown on the side of the road, as we often see clothes which have not made it to the charity shop but no longer have an owner...

So with bits of paragliding wings which had been donated, and had come to an end themselves I started deconstructing and reconstructing...

A contrast is always very helpful to create a stronger message... so I will bring this work in progress in class and discuss its life span with you... as an insight into what it is to run an Individual Project from A to Z...

While helping SueMe to develop an identity as a visible sustainable brand from 2013 onward, my passion to piece together was put to good creative use...

For me to piece textiles together is a healing process where I actually reattach pieces of my life together when they had been broken or I simply just give a new life to a piece of cloth as it is, and use some jewelry or other external elements to create a new whole which is pleasing to the eyes and fun to wear... it is actually quite an empowering process which I love to share, so hope to see you all on the 27th...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Human Touch

  A Stitchuation not to be missed... As the moon gently passes behind our earth this morning, to momentarily disappear from the sun rays, as...